Monday, June 26, 2006

*&^%$#@! assignment time again

The unit: Develop and apply knowledge of library information services.

The first assignment: 

Write a report (1000 words for each library) on the State Library of Victoria, The Museum Library and one other Academic or Public Library.  Report should include: brief summary of the library's history; account of the information role of the library and its relationship with its users; summary of management and reporting structure; discussion of key issues facing the library; summary of key legislation which effects (sic)(?affects) library's role and performance.

Why it is *&^%$#@!:
I hate writing solely for the purpose of being assessed on what I've written.  Valuable purposes of formal writing are to compose information useful in content and style to the work's reader.  My assessor already knows this stuff so what I write can't be useful to her.  When "what is in it for me" is only a grade I feel sick.

So: To get around that I have to:
  • find a personal motive, maybe:
    • a focussed series of entries for my blog
      • What this unit contributes to my industry knowledge
      • How that new knowledge could contribute to my future work in the industry
      • Preferably: what I enjoyed learning or found interesting or personally relevant
    • if I had a workplace I might "report" to a staff meeting or staff blog / wiki - but I don't yet;
    • career planning - too far away: I'll be homeschooling for a few more years.
  • maybe alter my 'educated' notions of what a report looks like
    • (boring... headings, sub-headings, prose content, conclusion)
    • play with the assessment criteria invitation to organise it 'innovatively'
Priority: Get it done!
  • Writing to format frustrated me to tears
    • eg SLV have pages galore dedicated to the areas relevant to the inclusions for my short report
    • all of which I find interesting
    • I would have to summarise what has already been extensively summarised.
  • Break it into pieces
    • There are two more assignments in this unit due in 28 days
    • := 9 days each
    • := 3 days each library of this one.
    • := 1/2 day per element to include.
    • leaving hopefully enough time to wrap it all up in a report!
????

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...