Saturday, August 05, 2006

Library Activities & Special Events - sleepover?

With life's typical unfurling style despite the months' advance notice of my obligation to present a library event, with seven days to go I have still not decided what to present. Leave aside that I don't work in a library so will be presenting on a theoretical event, the wealth of ideas (eg one list and another[book week]) is just too distracting to make a decision.

I like the idea of a sleep-over for older children ( Gracie Woodard claims it helps the library staff bond with the community:
  • Most impressive was Julie Page's Girl Scout book badge earner: with its heavy theme on book preservation.
  • Locked in the library - Apparently the Town of Newington library has one annually for children ages 6-12. Children bring their own sleeping bags, pillows and parent/caregiver. They sing karaoke, make crafts, hear bedtime stories, eat snacks and have breakfast in the morning.
  • A halloween sleepover at Enfield featured a spooky campfire, special candles and ghost stories.
  • Joy Hanchett of Southern Adirondack Library System found the American girls sleepover book and Statewide Summer Reading Program manual useful in filling out her library campout night.
  • As an unschooler I'm not convinced of the value of using a sleepover as a prize/enticement for reading volume such as a Robert W Rowe Public Library although I'd like to know more from their perspective, and what happened at the sleepover.
  • At Northland Public Library they had a family sleepover - I'd love to know more about it and their other Library Week activities: customer appreciation contest, a read-a-thon, book nook discounts, and special adult and children's programs. They also have regular teen movie nights, and game nights.
  • Not sure that this would transfer to a public library, but Bement School's sleepover sounds like it was fun (elements: movies, pizza, facials [it was all girls] and a conga line]). I wonder what other items were auctioned at the Spring Fling and were "the Jacksons" the parents who won the sleepover at auction?

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...