Wednesday, October 18, 2006

If the policy makes sense?

Does your staff training in customer service include policy scapegoating? When I'm eventually available for work (after the boys' homeschooling is finished), I do hope I find a library that understands quality policy management. What is that? Guessing without source here...

1. Policies that make sense.
2. Everyone in a position to enact a policy can explain its rationale.
3. Everyone who is responsible for enacting a policy is capable of recognising when the policy doesn't make sense.
4. Efficient (quick and easy to enact) procedures for following up when policies are shown to not make as much sense as was first thought.

Maybe one day I'll clarify for myself what I think "makes sense" means. It'd have something to do with fairness, equality, contributes to the organisation's mission, treats people with respect.

Thanks to Garrett'sLibrary Zen: Policy Scapegoat whose comments and link to Why ask Why (.pdf) triggered my thinking on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...