Monday, October 09, 2006

Library System Upgrade

I'm curious about my local Library's System Upgrade 16th - 24th October.

I discovered this just as I was preparing to send 'feedback' or rather suggestions along the lines of things I've discovered happens at other wonderful libraries online, so I guess I'll wait till after the upgrade in case they've already been working on such things:

  • I'd like to see an open, public communication with patrons by discussion board, wiki, or blog with comments (with options for patrons to communicate privately if they choose of course). Or at the very least something like the university's library where responses to feedback are publicised.
  • I'd love to see blogs - communication between library people and patrons and between patrons.
  • I would enjoy being able to comment on items in the library's collection like patrons can at Hennepin County Library. {aside: &^%$#@! Blogger search pathetic ... I knew I had mentioned Hennepin before but do you think Blogger Search would help me find it? Luckily I emailed that post so I found it with a search of my gmail}.
  • Actually that post reminded me of the 8th thing Michael Stephens learned at Internet Librarian 2005: #8 We need to put a face on the library...
let's make our conversations human. Let's get the library a human face. Sign blog posts. Use images. Have a voice. It's not technology, it's people.
  • I'd love for the library's events to be on a Google calendar, or to be able to receive a feed for each event that I could then add to my calendar with a click.
{Which reminds me: I'd like to find out what in certain emails triggers Gmail to offer to add an event to my calendar, when others for which it would be useful don't get the offer.}

  • How could I forget: the last straw prompting me to go the library page to make a suggestion: I'd love to be able to set up with Library ELF.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...