Friday, January 26, 2007

23Things #22 Audiobooks

The original #22 of 23 Things was specific to PLCMC staff: create a NetLibrary account and access audiobooks from NetLibrary. Helene made an alternative suggestion for non PLCMC people: maybe explore MySpace or Facebook (I'm not in the USA).

When Missouri River Regional Library absorbed the idea for their own learning2.0 program they designated, for Thing#22: exploring Google Labs.

I started my trial of google lab's notebook before this 23Things endeavour ... I love it, although... I wonder whether I'll ever be able to post my notes to a blog rather than just publishing to a random alphanumeric googlepage.

In the spirit of exploring audiobooks: if you know where to look (within 'online databases') my local public library has Tumblebooks, but so far as I could see nothing for adults, and nothing downloadable like NetLibrary. This was a little disappointing: after exploring Garfield County Library's protopage (thanks to Helene Blowers' pointer) to find that their patrons can easily download a wide variety of audiobooks (through the Marmot Library Network)

In contemplating tags for this post it occurs to me that audiobooks - while a potentially valuable service (when they can be downloaded) - don't have the social elements of web2.0'ness. Would we want them too? Why not - I'd love to comment on, tag, and receive recommendations relating to items in my local public library's online catalog like patrons can at Ann Arbor District Library. If I had access to audiobooks I'd probably enjoy the same features in their catalogue.



So, please tell me if anyone has seen an audiobook provider with 2.0 features.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...