Saturday, January 20, 2007

23Things #19 Furl and other web2.0 tools

This post was originally published at 43 Things.

On first look at the "list of lauded Web2.0 tools":http://www.seomoz.org/web2.0/?short suggested by this Thing I couldn't see anything else I wanted to try however there are some I've tried prior to this suggestion - because I've been curious after other bloggers mentioned or demonstrated their own use of those tools.

For example:
* I've added a meebo widget to my blog, although I rarely sign in lately (because I've been too frustrated with my blog apparently being too big to transfer to the new Blogger).
* I tried and reviewed thinkfree when suggested after my reviews of googledocs and Zohowriter.
* MySpace to see what the fuss was about, but as I do not desire a large audience it serves no purpose for me.
* I've enjoyed finding funny or intriguing videos at YouTube and upon checking it today to see if I can show by link my favourites collection, I noticed I could create a video log even without uploading my own... so that's another todo!
* As the dates for nomination and decision are not indicated on the Web2.0 awards page I can't tell how out of date it is - because for sure protopage's update would have to rank it top of the start pages. I did consider PageFlakes briefly but when protopage came through with tabbed pages its movable, resizable, overlappable post-its make it far and away superior in my eyes (and I have tried both Yahoo and Google start pages).
[mind you, Firefox's tabbed browsing {yes, I know IE7 is reported to do it too now} means I can start with several tabs at once] Can you guess what I start with? (Or if you don't care and why would you?: what is/are your start page/s?)

For the sake of this Thing something new was to check out the awarded Bookmarking tools (although I don't know why del.icio.us was categorised as social tagging rather than bookmarking). While I was reluctant to try yet another place for bookmarking - Furl appears to offer more than that - by Furling a copy of an article I can retain access to it even if it is moved or deleted from where I found it. How tempting - I had moved from prolific just-in-case printing to a more philosophical if you need it you will find it whether it is what you originally saw or something new and yet now Furl tempts me to archive everything I think looks good again. Why this need (clearly I am hardly alone) to hold on to everything?

Actually as I am creating this post as a 43Things entry which offers for me to upload a related image I wondered whether Furl might have been useful in saving evidence of the effect of ZohoWriter's layer on my blog, which post (and pernicious [yup that's the word I want] layer) I've since deleted. Yes/No ... on furling a blog at a particular time does it save what that blog looked like at that time?

Soooooooooo... Furl account created and installed the toolbar Firefox must be restarted. There's little else to report until/unless (and in which case I hope to remember to blog about it): after a period of furling I do search and find within my Furl archive a page that has moved from where I originally saw it.

As I've been trying to find good sources for music for Fish (son#2) I might give Last.fm MusicStrands and/or Upto11 a glance soon. A blogger recently mentioned Pandora but I was distracted into trying for myself: unsuccessfully (as yet) so perhaps next time I'll start with Fish's thankfully more easily identified current favourites. One Llama sounded promising with the reported 3000 attributes analysed but it is still on its way.

I note that I've asked a lot of questions this midnight hour. If all those questions were answered by comments .... unlikely as my readership is ME so I hardly need to comment, but let's pretend ... no but that explains why my midnight brain reminded me of Dave Pollards' tips for blog software/server ?programmers?designers to improve commenting features

So, three hours behind intention I'm going to shutdown.

Well my 43Things entry didn't get to here, so I don't know whether the image was supposed to transfer too, so here it is from Flickr:

supposed to be a screenshot uploaded to Flickr of the effect of one of Zoho's layers

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...