Friday, January 19, 2007

Using labels or tags

After wanting the new (or beta {I like 'beta' which might also be read 'better'}) Blogger for months for its promised labels, I'm now unsure how to use them.

See, I'm not sure I've tagged effectively at del.icio.us: when I looked at the resultant tag cloud it seemed too diverse. Of course that could be because I'm not very narrowly themed, or because I use del.icio.us for too many purposes.



I remember reading about tagging methods, but if I remember one of the conclusions correctly (use numerous relevant keywords) they may have been for bookmarking even specifically Flickr and/or del.icio.us purposes. When one cannot search for words in the content more tags might help, although good descriptions might be better if they can be searched.

But when it comes to a blog, an overabundance of tags could be counterproductive.

How can I tell what will be a useful category? Sometimes my first thoughts for tags are keywords from the content, for which (now that I have a technorati widget instead of relying on Blogger's search box) I can search rather than cluttering my (admittedly as yet non-existant) label list.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...