Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Exploring classifying while shelving: Rip Curl

About to reshelve Creating an Australian Icon [videorecording] : The Rip Curl Logo : a graphic communication case study, the DDC on the spine reads 796.1 - but I think ?sporting? what the...? What is the number where logos go? a design number? maybe 741.6?

Last couple of times I had questions for cataloguing their responses were helpful and kind, so I sent this one in too. And once again, a grateful and cheerful note came back: it had been re-classified (although my guess was off) 658.827

What tickled me most about the note though was that Paul challenged me to see why it had been given that DDC number. Grinning with delight that my desire to learn was recognised and encouraged I set out, thinking 658 sounds like a management number... hmmm?... Opening the enticing green, chunky code manual DDC22... sure enough: Management of marketing / Sales promotion / Use of brands and trademarks.

Taking another look at the DVD cover, the jacket did indeed refer specifically to the marketing context over and above the graphic design aspect:

"Provides a unique case study of the marketing achievements of a highly successful, all Australian business. Uses concise interviews, computer graphics, and attractive visual overlay, including excerpts from Rip Curl's own surfing films. Traces the evolution of the company's marketing images, and the important role played by Rip Curl's graphic design team."

I became curious: Which LCSH would apply to such an item? SMB & Libraries Australia agree only on:
Ripcurl. and
Surfing -- Australia -- Management.

Otherwise, at SMB LCSH:
Brand name products -- Australia.
Logography.

and at Libraries Australia LCSH:
Graphic arts -- Australia -- Case studies.
Marketing -- Australia -- Case studies.

So cool, I do love to learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...