Thursday, April 03, 2008

web design curiosities

Have you seen anywhere the cute little tick grey tick or next to a link indicating you have already viewed it (rather than an alternate colour)?
For example, from Man with no blog (which blog I surfed by today after following one of Kathryn Greenhill's tweets)

Screenshot of Related posts with ticks for visited links

My first guess is that effect might be achieved with CSS - including the tick maybe as a .gif in the style for visited links?

Naturally to share and discuss this piece of cuteness I tried to kwout it first rather than PrintScreen & edit. I say "naturally" because kwouting is so quick and it is a new game for me. However one who understands how kwout works might amend "naturally" with "ignorantly" because whatever kwout is grabbing, it is not precisely what you're seeing.

For example: This that I first tried to kwout but for you to see what I saw (the cute tick next to the Twitter link) I had to cut from a PrintScreen:

manwithnoblog's Twitter Lemmings post

when kwouted looked like this:

Note kwout didn't capture the visited link style (which is fine, that style isn't important to anyone except me), and then I noticed that site colours and images are different too, compare
This cut of screenshot:
how I first saw manwithnoblog

With two of different kwout grabs of the same page:



And another time:

and I haven't been able to get kwout to grab the same kwouted appearance I first saw for that page, but this is the style it had:

Could someone resolve my curiosity about why that happens?

3 comments:

  1. Well I think I can tell you 100% what is happening. :)

    There is no content inserts via javascript or CSS2.1 as these don't work on all browsers or confuse screen readers.

    It's just a simple visited link style for screen media only. The visited link is rendered with a background image aligned right with an extended padding bigger than the image, simple.

    The random styles. Well it's just a random generator that displays a new image and sets a cookie for the day.

    Nothing weird or strange!

    The print style sheet does use a content insert, but that degrades gracefully (as you would expect).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers Gary

    How did you notice my little post?

    I've read only the littlest bit about CSS so I'm gathering from what you say that one can create different styles for screen .v. print.

    And the random styles, I guessed a random generator would be involved - it is what then is happening with kwout that I'm puzzled by - not that I think it is either strange or weird, just something I don't yet understand.

    Hm :D - I'm totally blank on content inserts except what is implied by the definition of those words. As to expecting such to degrade, gracefully or otherwise, I have to blink in utter ignorance. At least for now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops,:

    What I meant, but forgot to state at all precisely was:

    Thank you Gary.

    ReplyDelete

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...