Wednesday, January 20, 2010

BBQ like you've never BBQ'd before

Update Feb 2010: I've been informed that George Patterson Y&R were the agency who created this year's poster series for AustraliaDay.org. Hooray :-D I love their VB and LG ads.


BBQ like you've never BBQ'd before
Originally uploaded by moonflowerdragon.

Over the weekend, The Courier (Ballarat) displayed an impressive, amusing ad from australiaday.org.au that almost has me planning a BBQ. Unfortunately I couldn't find a good copy of the image anywhere on the Australia Day website, and elsewhere only a scan Viktor Blanke recorded, so my lovely sister scanned the newspaper ad for me.

[Update Australia Day: We did have a BBQ and the boys re-enacted the patriotic advertisement for me]


BBQ for Australia
BBQ for Australia
Originally uploaded by moonflowerdragon.


I've been trying to identify the patriotic propaganda image upon which I believe this is based. Something from the Second World War? At first I thought... the image asking women to take up jobs to support Australia's war effort? But then I found that floating image:



and realised it is not quite the one this is probably inspired by. Can anyone help?

Ah, I searched again and Paul D Wade felt it was "reminiscent of the communist worker posters".

Perhaps like this before it became a mousepad

Or


No I'm almost sure I've seen one of a very similar structure, perhaps American?

Can you identify the image this harkens to?

Here is one:
"A People's Army Has No Rival"

although I'm still sure there are others.

3 comments:

  1. try 1971 Chinese poster titled "Learn from Daqing in Industry, Dazhai in Agriculture and PLA in Whole Country" Shanghai People's Publishing House. part of "From Mao to Now" poster exhibition at Sydney Olympic Park

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Anonymous.

    I would check out that poster, but have not been able to find it online, and am not heading to Sydney any time soon.

    I found another poster which has the look at .Corestock.com: Vibrant Chinese Propaganda Art - Part 1: Revolution, Revolution, Revolution - 3/4 of the way down the page (33 "Page Down"s). For some reason I keep getting a timeout trying to kwout it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There ain't nothin' better than good BBQ. We have the best BBQ restaurant by our house in Raleigh.

    ReplyDelete

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...