Saturday, January 30, 2010

How does web2.0 build better business?

In a sec I'll tell how I came to read the abstract by Megan Mulherin, then a MLIS student, that made me ask myself to little avail and now you, the following questions:

*Which daily management challenges can be better faced & overcome with web2.0 technologies?
*How does web2.0 help a company better position themselves against competitors? and
*How does web 2.0 help a company create and sustain a more robust form of management?

The only daily management challenges I can guess that web2.0 would contribute to are those of self-promotion or positioning and perhaps (the 2.0 aspect) communication with consumers. I wish the abstract had been more specific. I'm still stumped though how this creates "more robust form of management". Unless she means that for a business to be managing their public (web2.0) dialogue with customers *well* the company will have to be responsive to customers, quick to fix problems and are there other qualities?

Has that actually happened? That a company did not have a robust form of management prior to the introduction of web2.0?

...
Once again it was my Bloglines that led me.
I absolutely love that Michael Stephens uses web2.0 for his LIS course, and has his students use blogs and research web2.0 tools. Naturally Michael was proud when a student blog was highlighted by ... hm... "BestBizWeb Enewsletter" I say "hm" because the highlights iterate "our view" but who 'they' are is not indicated. This enewsletter appears to be an offshoot of a publication "Information Advisor" declared to be edited by Robert Berkman, which also uses "we" and "our" throughout, but which does not (in the sample issue) contain the names of any other contributors. That seems shonky to me.

Still, I'm glad the blog was highlighted because I've learned some of the interesting activities Michael's students get to do, like Brand Monitoring.

2 comments:

  1. Hey - thanks for the post. Before I blogged about Megan's link, i looked at the parent of BestBizWeb - it's InfoToday. They do some of the big tech conferences, publish CIL magazine and others, etc.

    Seemes pretty solid.

    I would have been low if it was one of those link mills like 100 Best Online Degrees and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for commenting Michael.

    I'm glad you pointed to InfoToday, I ought to have done so myself. I've been very grateful for a host of articles I've been able to access (and cite) for my studies via publications (particularly Computers in Libraries) thanks to InfoToday.

    So when I opened the sample issue of Information Adviser under the InfoToday banner I really expected to find articles by a variety of authors, or at least one other name to justify the plural of "our" and "we". I was disappointed and confused. Is there a reason not to question the credibility of a publication if its authors are not identified or *is* one person pretending to be plural?

    ReplyDelete

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...