Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Creating a Reading List with Zotero

Working in a library I tend to discover way more books I'd like to read than time allows.

So I have a few challenges:
  • How do I track titles of books I'd like to read when I get the chance?
  • Considering I may never get back to anything on that list, how do I choose what to borrow Right Now?
  • What is the most efficient and effective way for me to track the ideas I discover while reading?
My lunch is cooking right now, giving me a deadline for completing a post, which some of you may have discovered is another one of my challenges.

SO: today I'm only going to touch on the first one - because I've recently found an idea for that purpose.

I've been using Zotero to capture works I use for study - and now I've created a folder called: Reading List :D how clever is that?

Okay, for you to appreciate how it is that Zotero is so helpful in this respect, you need to understand what Zotero can do. It grabs and keeps citation data from library and other catalogues, or websites that provide such data, allowing us to make notes, tag, sort etcetera, and Share too I think.

Last night at work I found a few books on the shelf I really want to read, but too many books at home unfinished, so I found the titles in the catalogue, and had Zotero grab the information.

In a way, I used to prefer to be able to create my reading list more directly in conjunction with the library catalogue, much as it now allows me to keep a Reading History (which should probably more accurately be called a Borrowing History). Of course the catalogue allows me to mark records and email myself a list, and I guess I could then maintain a folder for such emails over time.

But maybe using Zotero for my Reading List is even better because the data is then in the same place that when I have read it, I can make notes, and later access the citation data if I use it. And when I work out to use the collaboration feature, I could share my Reading List... which is an intriguing thought for if/when I get into teaching.

Are any teachers in library science using Zotero this way?

I've used a toread tag with delicious for collecting online matertial to read later; however today I discovered the firefox extension Read It Later which would allow me to download pages for offline reading - particularly useful when I'm using a laptop I think.

1 comment:

  1. Zotero also lets you sync all your information (including copies of pdfs) to cloud storage. How useful is it? Well.... when my harddrive died two weeks ago, just as I was working on my final draft of my Masters Thesis .... I was able to get out my eeePC, install Zotero and all my research, references and notes were there instantly.

    It also lets you drag and drop the info straight into a document (WORD, Open Office,Wordpress, Blogger, Google Docs...whatever) and automagically creates an intext citation and bibliography at the end of the doc.

    The *only* problem I have with Zotero is that it is a Firefox plugin and although it beefs up my productivity, it is very, very hard for me to open my browser and *just* use my Zotero references without sneaking a peak at email or twitter or...

    ReplyDelete

ABOUT COMMENTING HERE:
1. You can use some HTML tags, such as <b>, <i>, <a>

2. Apparently blogspot requires that we allow third party cookies for the darn feature to work. Sorry, nothing I can do about it - Google will lead you to instructions.

3. I don't generally post on contentious issues so I don't expect problems.
However, I will delete comments I consider:
disrespectful, destructive, irrelevant or SPAM, (even sucking up: praising my post without reason while linking to a business site).

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...